Sunday, 26 April 2015

Saturday Night Out Indie Clint Boon Style

On a high from my boss night out (forgive use of the word 'boss'; I am Scouse). 

So, despite being dead old, 34 I'm hardly the age bracket to give solid advice on Manchester night life... but that aside I know what I like.  I donned my clubbing shorts, massive heels, had a few wines getting ready and headed off to meet my indie pal Kel... here we are all glam.

Indie Buddies 
So met up with Kel in the wonderful establishment that is Wetherspoons Piccadilly; erm... no comment... but when the barman barked at me "It'll have to be plastic"... I was confused and responded "A Pinot would be nice".... what he meant on football days they use plastic glasswear (read into that what you will)...

Anyhow, a few cheap wines later, we headed off to Corbieres; we always have a swift one here, I feel like it's a secret cave like pub not everybody knows about and they play decent tunes (think it runs a jukebox?). 

From here, we realised we were too early for South (11:15 start... 'tis very late for us mothers that have been up with the kids since 6am like), so had another drink in a dreadful bar I won't name and shame... but it was truly grim, the wine was shit, the music crap, the lighting dreadful, and worse the doormen thought they had sense of humour. 

So nicely pissed, but not massively we head to South; we've been going years.  The doormen are genuinely nice lads, although, on searching my bag (might be the Scouse thing again); he tried to confiscate a hidden away packet of Munchies (you'll find no pills or booze on me copper... only confectionery).  Doorman handed the choc back over (I'd have knocked him clean out otherwise); but nice bants you know; I tried it on that I was student... he laughed and said "Errr no".  But we had flyers so was only a fiver in (not sure how much it would have been otherwise).

On opening the place started to fill up quickly enough.  We got the drinks in; it has to be Red-Stripe, no other party in my life would I EVER drink canned lager, but in South I do, and I quite like it!  There was Clint in his Ellesse trackie, looking cool as ever, rocking the same haircut... only a bit greyer (no bad thing); looked him up on Wiki and he's not that young; 55... he could be me dad!

Who knew Jamaicans made beer?

I've not been for a bit to South, reckon about 6 months, last time we went Clint was away; it was still a top night, but we only go to Clint Boon's Disco because it's Clint Boon's indie disco!  Before that time, it was probably 6 months again before (don't get out a lot me on a Saturday, usually it's a tenner M&S meal and snuggling up browsing Netflix).   But this time it seemed different, brilliant as ever, but less 'Boon Army' shouty... you know, still loads of interaction with Clint; he clearly welcomes that.  Not sure anyhow.

So, tunes were old school as they always are, all your indie anthems; James, the Roses, Smiths, the Chameleons, Oasis (no Joy Division I noticed last night). I've got these tunes at home of course, I could play them loud in my garden every week and have a wonderful time, but Clint plays them with class and genius (not just playing anthem after anthem).  Mixing them with newer dance and even older dance classics.  I literally danced for 4 hours (if you'd seen my shoes you'd be impressed); when you look up at Clint, bless him he's enthusiastic for the music and that infectious.  That's the beauty of South, it's got a real honestly about it. Everybody is on that dance floor loving the music, hardly any snarlers (sorry if this is Scouse term); and for a couple of hours you feel part of something.

It takes you back, to a time when you LOVED music and it was a massive part of your life and weekends.  2 am onwards the music got a bit 'Buster ride on time', I thought I'd chance a cheeky request, I flashed my phone up at Clint on the decks.

I was proper chuffed when he played it a couple of minutes later; also he thanked me for my top musical guidance with a smacker..... know loads about music me... (I'll just hide my Les Mis CD).

So there I am, 34 2:30 in the morning listening to tunes from 15 years ago, I was taken back to my Liverpool clubbing days of the State and 051 (it wasn't all about Cream).

So top night at South, If I had the energy and youth (and was out looking for a fella) I'd go every week.   I might step it up though and go again next month for my birthday.... I'll have a think of a birthday request to ask for.

A bit worse for wear

xx Emma-Lou

2 comments:

  1. Haha! This sounds like a TOP night! I'd love to meet Mr Boon in the flesh - I always listen to him on XFM! Legend! xx

    Rock On Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny post, the bit about the doorman trying to take your munchies made me laugh out loud! Sounds like a great night and I'm really impressed you stayed out dancing past midnight!

    ReplyDelete